I just recently turned 18 last March 16. And speaking of 18, this is considered as the legal age, or the age of majority as recognized in law.
The term thereby refers to a list of laws bestowing the status of adulthood. It may differ depending on the jurisdiction, and may not necessarily correspond to actual mental or physical maturity of an individual. Unlike your younger years, you’ve expanded to a lot of rights. You have the right to:
- Open a bank account in your own name
- Perform professionally abroad
- Serve on a jury
- Get a tattoo
- Smoke cigarettes and tobacco
- Drink liquor alcohol in a bar
- See an R-18 film at the cinema
- Leave home (if you’re brave enough to)
- Marry or register a civil partnership
- Make a Will
- Own land, buy a house or flat & apply for a mortgage
- Get a license & drive a vehicle
- Enter politics & run for office
Beginning 18, life will begin to evolve. You’ll enter a new world. You’ll be independent & depend less on your parents. You’ll be responsible for what you’ve done, whether good or bad. You must know what’s right & wrong. The world is on you.